Thursday, October 29, 2009

Some Answers to Questions...

In the photo of Holly and Wendy with the cake. Wendy was crying a little. She was trying to sleep when Holly got up to blow her candles out. We really didn't want here to drift off since it was only 8:00 pm. Bedtime wasn't quite time then.....ha

We will leave here tonight from Nanchang. The people here are warm and curious about our babies. Especially Evan being that he is a Boy, and that he looks so healthy. Lots of thumbs up.....)

Today it is Friday morning here to your Thursday evening there. We board the plane at 9:00 pm and get there around 11:00 pm in Guangzhou. Something like that. Mike and Wendy went to the countryside today while Holly, Evan, and Momma pack up. Amazing that it is time to almost be at the White Swan!! I keep telling Holly that the White Swan is so incredible!! So much more to do there that is near by. Oh, and let's not forget "LUCY'S". I can't wait to taste to American style cooking. Every meal Chinese is a bit much even for those who love it. LOL!

Wendy and Evan have had two good evenings now without him biting. YAY!!!!
Things will be looking up, but it will take time.

For my friends with Children this age from China..... How long before they can speak English sentences? Our communication is really lacking. I have a few phrases from our friend Kelsey M., but there are still those moments when a string of words keep flowing out.....) Veronica said he is happy from asking him. He loves his family; so this is great news.

Tomorrow morning after not getting much sleep we have to be at the clinic for Evan's TB test. YIKES! This won't be fun for him. At least we found out that he won't have to get 7 shots tomorrow, and that is WONDERFUL NEWS!! Let's just take care of things at home thank you very much.

One family flies tonight from another province same agency group and we meet up at the White Swan.

Lesa

8 comments:

Sherry said...

Glad things are going well. And wow - you guys are already on your way to GZ. You'll be home in no time.

Sherri said...

I"m happy things are going well and that Evan hasn't been biting his sister, that's great.

I missed the pictures!

hugs,
Sherri

Kristy said...

Lesa I am so glad things are going so well. Have fun at the White Swan!

Love u, Kristy

Kim said...

Lesa & fam....we're praying and following. Know you are constantly on our minds and in our hearts. BTDT: I know this is where it gets a little easier and a lot tougher. Have Holly eat quesadillas at Lucy's for me with their ketchup and onion hot sauce. Yummy-yuck. :) Sweet memories.

As far as language....can you email me, because I need to tell you more than I can fit in the box...but in short here goes....

It took Faith months to get to sentences, but now we could enter a charade contest and win. There is almost nothing we can't act out together. Have fun with motions...

Faith is still (two plus years later at least a year language delay) Evan - if he is on target in Chinese may not take that long.

Go back to the basics...it is too stressful just being a family to try hard to teach language....that will come...I know it is frustrating when he is jabbering and talking to everyone in Chinese and you don't have a clue what he is saying, wanting or needing....hang in there it will come....BTDT....sweet memories!

Remember (you already know this) focus on showing him LOVE. Love him until he can't stand it. I love you in Chinese: (you probably know) Wo eye knee...phonetic of course....say it over and over paired with the English.....most important language.....hold, cuddle, swim, carry....attach...He's a boy....he's not gonna like it...or at least mine didn't

Focus on single words (think back to when Wendy or the girls were learning to talk....they started with words) figure out the most important words and say them over and over, pointing and gesturing.....funny....the sweet Chinese watchers will think you are crazy Americans....:)

Hang in there! You can do this....it's a whole different world you just stepped into....but worth every painful ounce of energy and effort....even for the little big sister.

I know you know this, too....Evan is most likely biting from frustration...because like any three year old he is self-centered and can't look at Wendy and say "back off Chick....it's mine and I'm not sharing!"

Tell Wendy that a wise friend (Mary Strickland) told Rylee in July '07 when we were home and Faith wasn't her favorite and Faith didn't even like her and she didn't like Faith that she had to wait six months before deciding if she liked Faith and that by Christmas things would be better....and they were.

We love ya'll....email if you can....if not we we'll all get together when you get home....

Evan will love the boys and Wendy needs to have some special friend time.

P139
1O L*RD, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
2 You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
3 You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
4 You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
5 You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!

The Maxwell's said...

Lesa,

E-mail me when you get home about the language issue. We went through the same thing when we brought Levi home lasy year. He is now talking so well and is right up there with every other 3 yr old. Just use alot of hand gestures while saying the english word at the same time. He will learn fast you'll see. Take care and have fun in Guanzhou.

Jan said...

The talking thing can vary so much by child. But he will understand what YOU are saying LONG before he can communicate himself. Since he is already verbal in Chinese, I think he will probably pick up English fairly quickly. My daughter was 2 but wasn't speaking in Chinese yet, and it took her two years to be able to express herself, and another two to really be fluent. By now she's 10 and just as chatty as anyone else. But I sure worried at the time!

Melissa said...

Enjoy your time at the White Swan. I almost miss Lucy's. It was such a treat after eating so much Chinese food.

Michele M said...

Lesa, on the language it is hard to say...R understood things very quickly and his language seemed to come almost immediately. At 6 month mark this month we've had people say they didnt realize he wasnt here from birth. I think the key is to repeat words and short phrase over and over again....he will catch on.